The old Capitol Saddlery building is one of the more interesting ones in Austin. In 1878, it became the town’s first permanent firehouse. Around 1932 a man by the name of T.C. “Buck” Steiner acquired the building and made boots there until he was 101 years old. His grandson Bobby took over the business and moved it up to Highway 183 in 2007. Like so many others, the original hand-painted sign is hanging on for dear life.
So Austin developers haven’t turned the old building into a condo development yet. But it has been turned into a ridiculously gaudy Venetian-style residence that was recently listed for sale at a cool $4.4 million.